Manager, Publicity & Talent (Based Auckland)
|Industry:||Marketing - PR/Publicity|
In Australia and New Zealand, Discovery operates a portfolio of premium brands across pay-tv, free-to-air and streaming platforms, including Discovery, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Three, Newshub and ThreeNow. They are a leading entertainment brand on Foxtel and Sky, and the largest free-to-air commercial broadcaster in New Zealand. They’re also home to a growing slate of globally renowned originals including Aussie Gold Hunters and Outback Opal Hunters, and successful local formats, including The Masked Singer NZ.
Discovery ANZ Brand Portfolio (as at April 2021)
Free-To-Air: Three New Zealand | ThreeNow | Choice TV | HGTV (Home & Garden TV) | Newshub | Bravo (NBCUniversal JV) | 9Rush (Nine JV)
STV: Discovery | Animal Planet | TLC | Food Network | HGTV (Home & Garden TV) | ID (Investigation Discovery) | Turbo | Living
Key Programs: The Masked Singer NZ | The Block NZ | Dancing with the Stars NZ | Aussie Gold Hunters | Outback Opal Hunters | Gold Rush | Crikey! It’s the Irwins | Dr Pimple Popper | and more
As the Manager, Publicity & Talent you will lead the publicity and talent strategy for the ANZ portfolio of brands - FTA, STV & DTC.
Tasked with building a high-performing publicity and talent capability, this role aims to deliver first class consumer publicity for our brands and content in a fast-changing media landscape. This role will work closely with Corporate Communications to align and support News and Trade publicity. This role is also responsible for building the profile of local and international talent.
One of four leadership roles within the marketing team, this position will work closely with Brand Marketing, Digital Marketing and Media Planning to deliver high-quality, high-ROI activity. Together, you will also implement marketing requirements of company CSR initiatives.
As a global media business, this role will require regular communication with international colleagues in the US, UK, APAC and beyond. Flexible working hours required.
ANZ Publicity Strategy
- Develop ANZ publicity strategy across portfolio of brands, prioritising brands and content
- For STV brands, develop and manage effective affiliate publicity relationships with Foxtel, Fetch, Sky, etc
- Support efforts to build the Discovery corporate identity across ANZ
- Establish clear metrics of success for each brand across each platform
- Maximise coverage of tentpole content and talent across the portfolio of brands - FTA, STV and DTC
- Lead unit publicity requirements for local productions across ANZ
- Partner with Corporate Communications to develop and execute News publicity strategy
- Partner with Corporate Communications to develop and execute a comprehensive trade publicity strategy
- Manage talent relationships across the portfolio of brands, local and international, in partnership with global Publicity operations
- Partner with Corporate Communications to develop and promote News talent
- Develop talent promotional plans as required
- Manage execution of CSR-related publicity requirements
- Plan and manage annual budget
- At least 7 years’ experience within a publicity and talent role within the media entertainment industry
- Ideally, at least 3 years’ experience within publicity and talent role for a news brand/organisation
- At least 3 years’ experience in leading people and teams across consumer and trade marketing
- Strong strategic thinker, able to identify opportunities and risks in publicity activities
- Independent thinker with a strategic mindset. Able to think creatively, highly driven and self-motivated
- Exceptional levels of commitment and passion.
- Analytical skills and fluency in the use of data to deliver insights and inform decision making
- Commercial nous and the ability to create significant ROI
- Facilitates and encourage innovation and improvement in the workplace
- A good regional network and an ability to build networks inside organisations; collaborative
- Influential approach to problem solving;
- Able to work readily and easily with many different personalities and nationalities in a highly
- matrixed and international structure
- Dynamic personality, adaptable, a high-degree of professionalism.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and working in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; a team player able to work with colleagues across multiple locations & timezones
- Excellent people management skills; able to lead, coach and develop direct and indirect reports
- Degree educated